Best Way to Remove Leaves from Your Garden
When the seasons change and the leaves begin to fall, it can create quite picturesque scenery at first. The colourful leaves scatter through the yard in a waterfall of reds and oranges and yellows. The trouble can begin, however, when the leaves land in difficult spaces. Once they begin drying up, leaves can be quite a hazard and need to be removed. If you have leaves that have landed in tight and tricky corners through the yard, these tips will make it easy to remove them.
Firstly, there are a few different types of equipment and techniques that can be used for leaf clearance. Consider the following:
- Machinery such as leaf blowers. These can be quite expensive but are highly effective, and cost-efficient when used regularly and maintained well.
- Yard vacuums which can collect leaves from open spaces. This kind of machinery is more powerful than blower and sucks the leaves up, disposing of them immediately.
- Leaf tarp to place leaf debris on. This is generally used in conjunction with a leaf blower and is the most convenient way for leaf collection and disposal of leaves once gathered.
- Leaf rake for manual labour. While this is labour intensive, it is also the cheapest option for removing leaves. Make sure you use correct position and avoid twisting when raking.
When the time comes for leaf clearance from the yard, consider these tips to make it a less burdensome task:
- Keep it manageable and make don’t try to clear every single leaf in a day. Because leaves fall all throughout the autumn season, there is little point at clearing the entire yard each day. Rather, every second or third day, clear a specified area and have a schedule for each section of the yard.
- Avoid windy weather as this can be the most counterproductive way to work. Wait for a clear and still day so that you can actually remove the leaves and dispose of them without a gust of wind undoing all your handiwork.
- Use the lawnmower to mulch the leaves or bag them. Put the mower deck on the second-highest setting to effectively mulch and not mow the grass.
- Dress appropriately so that you can work for a long period of time. If sunny, apply sunscreen because the autumn sun can still have harmful UV rays. To avoid sweating excessively and becoming dehydrated, dress in layers to regulate body temperature. Keep a bottle of water in easy reach throughout the clearing task.
- Recycle the leaves and make very effective compost. After mulching or bagging and mixed with grass cuttings to speed up the decomposition process, the autumn leave will become perfect compost.
- Keeping the lawn clear of leaves is very important. When leaves rest on the lawn for prolonged periods, the process of photosynthesis can be limited. The leaves shade out the sun and light from the grass which inhibits photosynthesis. Leaves, therefore, need to be removed to allow the lawn to continue being nourished and breathe. This is important for lawn care and general lawn maintenance.
- Consider the professionals in leaf clearance services if the task is too much for you. Many professional and reliable gardening services offer excellent leaf clearance facilities. This can be expensive to hire a professional, but is also very time efficient and will save you the expense of buying a blower or the backbreaking hours of labour of raking leaves.